The Lead Android Engineer will join a leading Global Brand in designing and building highly extensible mobile applications for providing cutting edge consumer experiences for beauty and skincare. The mobile applications will be part of a larger technology stack that makes extensive use of AI/ML computer vision, natural language processing, and CG rendering / AR capabilities. The Austin engineering team is part of a global organization with locations in Cambridge, Palo Alto and Yokohama.
The best candidate for this role will be a highly experienced lead mobile engineer familiar with building applications across iOS, Android or ideally, both. Efforts will focus on building reusable cross platform components and solutions using React-Native where possible. You will work on several interrelated initiatives bringing your skills to bear delivering smart products for savvy consumers on a flexible and ever evolving architecture.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead and guide a team of mobile engineers whilst also being hands on and delivering code alongside them.
- Be the think tank of the mobile team in terms of development and best practices and help mentor and grow your teammates
- Design, implement, deploy and support new mobile based applications spanning iOS & Android.
- Define and implement re-usable components either in native form and / or using React-Native.
- Execute end-to-end software development and deployment in an agile environment with a customer focused design imperative.
- Work collaboratively with product managers, UI / UX designers and full stack developers to translate product requirements into fully-fledged applications that are both great to look at, as well as easy to use.
- Be able to interact with the various hardware features of the device such as Camera, Bluetooth & GPS and building applications that maximize their potential.
Working Relationships/Key Stakeholders:
- Work closely with UI / UX and full stacks developers to build and define applications to support a wide array of consumer facing platforms.
- Work closely with the Chief Architect to ensure that current and future deployment platforms are considered in design and deployment.
- Work with the beauty and skin care advising team to ensure that expectations of consumers are fully considered in all aspects of design and release.
- Work with AI, Computer Vision, and AI rendering teams to ensure services meet performance and reliability requirements.
- Interface regularly with the global IT organizations responsible for operating all web & mobile applications.
Qualifications & Competencies:
- Key competencies include:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field. MS preferred.
- 7+ years of software development experience, especially in mobile languages, frameworks & tools such as Swift, Java / Android, React-Native, React-Web.
- Prior experience leading mobile teams with successfully completed products & applications • Experience guiding & mentoring more junior engineers
- Strong foundational experience in designing and building mobile applications leveraging best practices and fundamentals such as software design patterns
- Experience accessing and leveraging hardware features of the mobile devices such as Camera, Bluetooth and GPS.
- Experience building mobile applications spanning multiple devices and form factors
- Experience identifying and building re-usable client-based components
- Knowledge & understanding of how to build mobile applications that are fluid and performant • Experience leveraging back-end services via REST and / or GraphQL.
- Current on best practices in client-side security measures
- Experience working within an agile based environment and using modern tools such as git, github, bitbucket etc.
- Strong communicator who likes to work in collaborative, fast-paced environments