Philo is building the future of television. Our product lets you watch your favorite shows on all the devices you care about, with seamless playback, insightful discovery, and effortless sharing — in short, we’re building the TV experience that we’ve always wanted for ourselves.
We’re a company that puts people first — both our subscribers and our team. At Philo, our philosophy is to empower our colleagues to do their best work while supporting each other in pursuing shared goals. We value pragmatism, pride in our work, and passion. We believe in having transparency and openness across all parts of the company.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion as we grow the Philo team and shape the future of TV. We believe that a diverse set of voices and perspectives on our team enables us to innovate faster and create the best experience for our subscribers.
Philo is headquartered in San Francisco, with additional offices in New York and Cambridge, MA. Our leadership team includes a cofounder of Facebook as well as alums of Meraki and HBO. Philo is backed by NEA and industry partners including Discovery, Viacom, AMC, and A&E.
Philo engineers own what they build from start to finish. We are actively hiring engineers who are looking to build a completely new kind of product and who have a passion for Android development.
As an Android engineer, you will be responsible for:
- Architecting, building, and owning the Android mobile experience
- Architecting, building, and owning the user experience on Android-based set-top box platforms like Amazon Fire TV and Android TV.
- Contributing to UX design decisions bringing domain expertise
- Helping to grow the mobile team
A strong candidate is:
- Extremely proficient in Java and/or Kotlin
- Familiar with the Android ecosystem including feature sets and best practices across devices and operating system versions
- 5+ years of mobile development experience
Nice to have:
- Experience with video playback
- Experience with or interest in Android based set-top box platforms (Fire TV, Android TV, etc)
- Experience with GraphQL-based APIs
- Experience with TV Integration Framework
- Experience with cross device interoperability (e.g. casting)
- Experience building multi-modal experiences
Projected Start Date: ASAP
Location: San Francisco, CA
Compensation: Includes competitive salary, company stock options and health benefits.
We value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. Philo is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that everyone does their best work when they are supported by each other and the company, and we offer a generous set of benefits to make sure the Philo team is happy and healthy. Here is a sampling of the benefits we offer our team:
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for you and your family
- Flexible working hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- Unlimited paid time off for vacation and sick leave
- $2000 annual vacation bonus (we pay you to take a two week vacation)
- $5000 annually for professional development and educational assistance
- $500 “TV stipend” for new employees to upgrade their home watching setup
- Dog-friendly office
- And much more!