It wasn’t so long ago that booking a trip to see the Eiffel Tower, stroll down New York’s iconic Madison Avenue or feel the sand between our toes on Copacabana Beach was simply a matter of a few taps on our smartphone. In fact, that’s what we do at Booking.com. We make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we’re busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more. Across our offices worldwide, we continue to innovate. To solve for some of the most complex challenges in travel and technology, and to plan for the exciting developments that lie ahead. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening up new career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission. We are united in the belief that our very human desire to explore the planet’s beauty and discover more about other people and cultures will endure. The world is waiting for us. Together, we will be ready.
With over 1.6 million room nights booked every day, accommodation represents the largest share of our business to date. Our mission is to deliver the best customer experience and the most varied selection of properties.
At Booking.com we combine the best traits of a start-up with the resources of planet Earth’s #1 accommodation website. We are working towards creating the ultimate travel experience, building and improving great products for both travellers and the accommodation partners.
You will be joining the Trip Experience track, which is responsible for spreading Trip-Centric user experience and improving the post Booking area on all platforms of Booking.com.You will get an opportunity to impact many different parts of post-Booking area, such as:
- Making sure that Trip is represented consistently across customer journey
- Building transparent and easy to use Trips foundation so other teams can seamlessly contribute to the company’s Trips vision
- New modern features on Trips List to show the most relevant information and actions that user could need during their journey
- Improving core infrastructure of post-Booking area that is responsible for Offline Sync process and caching
In this team, you’ll be responsible for the user experience in the entire Booking.com Android app, from the onboarding screen until when they’re leaving a review after their trip.As Android developer you will be responsible for:
- Owning the customer experience in apps
- Cooperating with Booking’s Android community to design highly convenient, familiar APIs, so that developers across the business can easily use Trips Foundation’s code to power their features
- Pushing the boundaries of native UI Android to deliver consistent, scalable solutions that deliver performant, low-maintenance experiences
- Making sure we have a more modern, scalable, flexible and performant codebase
- Monitoring and understanding customers' behaviors
- Solve issues prioritizing based on customer impact
- Collaborating with Back end developers, Designers, Product owners to constantly improve the customer experience
- Contribute to Booking.com's growth through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts
We expect our developers to know the ins and outs of the Android framework and to deliver polished products customers want to use. We need self-starters who are great at solving problems, initiate solutions and discussions and are not afraid of solving challenges due to our huge scale.
We have found that people who match the following requirements are the ones who fit us best:
- 5+ years of experience as a developer Java and/or Kotlin and other languages
- At least 3 years of this experience must be from working with Android SDK
- Strong interaction and design sense, excellent attention to detail
- Self-motivated to explore new technologies, applications and environments
- Self-starter, highly motivated, team-player
Bonus Points for
- Experience with Android Market place & Distribution Process
- An approved Play store app
- SQL knowledge and/or willingness to learn
- Experience working with A/B testing
- You are passionate about open source and contribute
- You’re not afraid to solve deep technical challenges of a whole new level at a huge scale
- You have an intrinsic curiosity in technological innovations and you are always on top of the latest trends
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe;
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide;
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture;
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit;
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions;
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation;
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.